Thanks to changes in sponsorship, the HawaiiSMS Stock Market Game is hosted on PersonalFinanceLab.com this Spring – with some great new features for schools across the state.
The PersonalFinanceLab.com platform uses the same interface and trading engine as the previous version, so returning teachers will be familiar with how to manage their classes. However, the new version comes with streamlined trading rules, loads more educational resources for Economics and Personal Finance classes, the ability to build custom sessions for your class, and free access to our brand-new Budgeting Game!
Dates and Registration
- Registration is open now, and closes on April 1, 2020.
- Competition begins on February 10, and ends on April 24.
- Early registrations can begin trading immediately as practice, with all student accounts reset at the end of the day on February 7, ahead of the official competition. During the practice round, students will be able to see each other’s trades and portfolios.
- The Budget Game will be available from January 20 – May 1 for all schools that are interested.
Previous competitions divided students based on portfolio allocation. With this new session, all participants have the same simplified trading rules:
- $100,000 Starting Cash
- Students may short sell and day trade
- Students may only allocate up to 25% of their portfolio in any one position (single stock, bond, mutual fund, ect)
- Students may only allocate up to 75% of their portfolio in stocks. The remainder must be invested in mutual funds or bonds.
- Students may place up to a maximum of 300 trades over the duration of the competition.
All of these rules will be automatically enforced by the system, meaning students will not be able to place a trade which would violate any rules.
Prizes will be awarded separately for High School and combined Elementary/Middle School divisions. We will award:
- $100 to the teacher of the top performing High School and Elementary/Middle School teams to host a classroom pizza party
- $50 Amazon Gift Card to each of the top 5 High School teams
- $30 Amazon Gift Card to each of the top 5 Elementary/Middle School Teams
The new platform includes a host of great features teachers can use as part of their classes, including:
- New curriculum library, with hundreds of lessons integrated for Personal Finance and Economics lessons (see our Personal Finance lessons here, or our Economics lessons here)
- New library of pre-built Google Slides and PowerPoint presentations teachers can use in their classes (click here to view!)
The Budget Game
Our Budget Game puts your students in the role of a college student with a part-time job, managing their variable income, expenses, paying bills, using a credit card, and understanding how to build and manage a budget. The game lasts for a simulated year, with each “month” of the game taking approximately 20 minutes to complete. You can learn more about how it works by clicking here.
The Budget Game is available free to all Hawaii schools for this Spring as part of the Hawaii SMS Challenge!
PersonalFinanceLab.com has opened up this game to be free for all Hawaii schools, but custom sessions with your own rules, dates, and settings are also available. If you are interested in a custom session, the pricing is $10 per student for just the stock game, or $15 per student for both the stock game and budget game. Click Here for more details!